Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Introduction to the Trails End Quilters

I've discovered my quilting heritage evolves from the quilters who lived at Trails End Farm, in Milan, NY, the home where my mother grew up, where her mother and grandmother also lived and were involved in quiltmaking. This is where I sat beside my grandmother, in her country kitchen, when I was 8 years old, and helped sew my first quilt blocks.

That quilt was one of four Nanny made for her grandchildren. I still have the one we made for me, although it's well worn and faded.

I took up quiltmaking again, at my mom's urging, during this country's Bicentennial years of 1975-76. This developed into a quiltmaking and patchwork business, along with writing about this topic for quilting magazines. Eventually I wrote a book, The Magic of Patchwork.

My daughter has become a quilt designer and quiltmaker, who is gaining recognition in her field. Her daughter also has begun following in the footsteps of the Trails End Quilters.

I hope you enjoy the stories I share about my quilting heritage which began with the quilters at the Trails End Farm.

(I also write a general quilting blog at www.aboutweblogs.com/quilting. )